[vlc] Problems converting single DVD titles on DVD's with deliberate errors

Frederik Holljen frekko at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 13:30:13 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm writing an application using vlc to convert single DVD titles to
transport stream.

As you may know VLC has two ways to read content from a DVD:
- dvd:// using dvdnav
- dvdsimple:// using dvdread.

For my usage dvdsimple:// is recommended by the vlc community because
it doesn't include navigation. E.g when using dvd://@1 to capture the
main title the converting process may continue indefinitely capturing
the menu if the dvd title includes navigation to return to the menu or
any other title. I tried using dvd:// on some titles and sure enough,
it will fill my hard drive :)

The problem however, is that quite a few DVD's contain deliberate
errors. To remedy this the dvdread/dvdnav guys implemented a DVD-vm in
dvdnav that detects and fixes these errors. The issue is that the
DVD-vm is in dvdnav (dvd://) and _not_ in dvdread (dvdsimple://).

In effect, the single title converting in vlc is currently buggy since
any dvd's with deliberate errors will never work.

According to the dvdread/dvdnav guys this was a problem in mplayer
before as well. They fixed the issue by circumventing the chain
functionality in dvdnav if a specific title is specified.

Is this something the vlc developers acknowledge as an issue? Is there
any other known way to get around this problem?

Cheers,
Frederik