[vlc] AVC playback bug

Francois Grobbelaar bles at ihug.co.nz
Sat Dec 20 12:54:29 CET 2008

Hello,

Firstly, VLC media player is awesome, I have been really impressed with
it so far and I really hope it has a long future ahead of it. I'm
strongly considering switching completely over to it soon (I currently
use it for playing DVDs and the odd video that doesn't play in media
player classic - I intend to get a Mac soon and of course at that point
I will be switching to VLC).

There is one thing that kind of bothers me though. I am a fan of anime
and I found that some of the h264 encoded videos do not play back
correctly on VLC (or it could be the mkv container, not sure) - this is
something I noticed in the 0.96 release and thought would be fixed on
the newest (0.98a) but it doesn't look like it has been fixed, I also
don't know how long the problem has been there. Media Player Classic
running the CCCP codec pack doesn't have the same problem and neither
does ZoomPlayer. I can't think of a better way for you to see the
problem other than providing you with a link to an example of what I'm
talking about (this is a torrent link for an unlicensed anime episode):
http://tracker.anirena.com/download.php?id=12112

You'll notice the issue fairly soon, the video just freezes every few
seconds and recovers every now and then. It is probably some codec
feature that is not supported in VLC but is used for some of these
releases. This is really the only thing currently stopping me from
making VLC my default media player for everything.

Thanks, you guys have a great project on your hands,
Francois.