[vlc] Useage of VLC in our Application's Installer

Remi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Feb 18 12:18:13 CET 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:20:44 -0000, "Toby Moxham" <toby.moxham at oak.co.uk>
wrote:
> We are going to be using the vlc ActiveX component in our Delphi
> application. We have included the vlc installer in our applications
> installer so that when our application is installed, vlc is also
> installed. What do we need to do to comply with the licence?

Using the ActiveX probably turns your software a derivative work of VLC.
Hence, you need to license your own software under the terms of the GNU
General Public License version 2 or later, or a compatible terms.

You may also need to provide source code for VLC and all its dependencies.
If this is non-commercial, linking to http://www.videolan.org/ is
sufficient, but this is only valid for non-commercial releases.

Detailed licensing terms are available here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

If in doubt, ask your legal department.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont