[vlc] Misleading error messages in vlc 0.8.6d

PK djc at resiak.org
Wed Feb 27 12:16:28 CET 2008

I have FILM.avi with FILM.idx and FILM.rar (containing FILM.sub).  When I
open FILM.avi with vlc 0.8.6d, it opens the error window with the message

     Unrecognized format for 'G:\FILM.idx'

which is not the case, as the messages window shows:

     main error: no suitable access module for `G:\FILM.sub'
     vobsub error: couldn't open .sub Vobsub file: G:\FILM.sub
     subtitle error: failed to recognize subtitle type
     main error: no suitable demux module for `/subtitle://G:\FILM.idx'
     main debug: control type=1

Lines 1 and 3-4 there are also misleading, but the second line tells the
real story: vlc finds no FILM.sub file.  (The subtitles worked fine when I
unpacked the .rar file.)

Pete