[vlc] security issues in vlc 0.8.6c

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Jan 3 19:51:01 CET 2008

Le Wednesday 02 January 2008 21:59:51 Nico Golde, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
> I am currently investigating the latest vlc security issues
> for Debian.
> About CVE-2007-4619, in the NEWS file you say this is for
> Windows and Mac OS Binaries. Does this vulnerability only
> affect these two systems?

CVE-2007-4619 affects every operating systems, however as far as the VideoLAN
project is concerned, this only affects our binary releases, because we
statically link against libFLAC. I think Debian links dynamically so VLC
itself would not need to be updated.

> For VideoLAN-SA-0703:
>  VLCPlugin::~VLCPlugin()
>  {
> +    /*
> +    ** bump refcount to avoid recursive release from
> +    ** following interfaces when releasing this interface
> +    */
> +    AddRef();
> +
>
> Is this the only change needed to fix this?

That's in the ActiveX plugin. Debian would not care about that patch.

Other patches that I can think of, since 0.8.6c:

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/22023
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/23198
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/23854
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/23855

That being noted, Etch (and worst yet Sarge) are both based upon development
versions. We don't keep track of security issues within development releases
given our limited resources. I would bet some security fixes are missing.

Regards,

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/