[vlc] does vlc play .iso files directly off the harddrive?

Scott Matthews scott at turnstyle.com
Thu Jan 3 23:12:46 CET 2008

Given that I was just asking about playing a DVD over a LAN via a shared
drive -- which apparently cannot work -- I gather this is the next best way
to try?

In other words, can I:
1) rip a DVD to a .iso file on a network share
2) mount and play that .iso over the network? (including menus, special
features, etc?)

If so, what is an appropriate tool to use to rip the DVD to iso? (do I not
need to decrypt it when doing so?)

thx,  -Scott

Scott Matthews
Andromeda: MP3 juke/server for PHP or ASP Web sites
http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda/

Bitty: The little browser that goes on any Web page
http://www.bitty.com/