[vlc] How To's

Just an Illusion jai4forum at yahoo.fr
Sat Jan 12 12:25:45 CET 2008

Hi,

The Javier's answer is the good one but it is easily to complete a part
of the explanation.

As announced the 'Release Announce' is a text style file (commonly in
Dos Ascii text format), that why it can be read with Notepad.

For 'Installer', the answer is more complex. If this is a directory, you
must find here the installation's program based on the Os/architecture
configuration ; if this is a file that must be the installation program
(the '.exe' file under Windows), but this is the good one only if the
good precompile Os Vlc binary has been chosen.
For 'Disk-Image', this is the image (or the directory that content the
image file) that must be use with a CD/DVD/Blue-Ray/HD-DVD writer. This
is equivalent to the classical Iso files.
For 'Source Code', that must be a directory or an archive file that
content the source code of Vlc. It is provide for debug, modification,
or recompilation of the program.

The last one ('Source Code') is useful if you want compile the Vlc
binary yourself. The usage is required 'gcc' for compilation and
presence of the 'make' file of the program ; the list of library
dependency can be found on vlc development documentation part on the
website.
If you use an other development environment, you certainly require to
build your own 'project' management environment (equivalent to the
'make' file) and install the required library.

Best regards,
JaI