[vlc] Blu Ray

John Murphy jknmurphy at woosh.co.nz
Fri Jun 27 05:45:23 CEST 2008

I've been lurking awhile, however the possibility of Hi definition interests
me.

I understand that the specs of the Blu-ray encryption are closed, but I
don't think that the organization of the files and the video coding (as
opposed to security) methods are.

I don't know for sure, and I may be well wrong here, but if I was to
generate my own hi def content, and somehow burned it on to Blu-ray
(unencrypted) then the only option that is open to playing the content is
via a proprietary blu-ray application.

Basically, are there open specs for encoding, decoding and trasncoding hi
definition content, that are distinct from the encryption?

Since Blu-ray burners are coming out, could VLC be used for 'home' Blu-ray
as opposed to purely commercial content?

John