[vlc] [Videolan-devel] strange parasites in frequency sweeping (was on videolan-devel)

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Fri Mar 21 12:16:46 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 13:00 +0100, Elie Roux wrote:
> Rafaël Carré a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 22:48 +0100, Elie Roux wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> to test some headphones I wanted to hear the response of the headphones
> >> according to the frequency. To do so, I took this frequency sweep :
> >>
> >> http://norgz.info/download/sweep.flac
> >>
> >> As you will hear, with VLC, there are very strange and annoying parasite
> >> frequencies when it goes to high frequencies. This does not come from
> >> the flac : you can try it with mplayer or by burning it on a CD, you
> >> won't have those parasites. My version of vlc is the last debian/sid
> >> version :
> >>
> >> VLC media player 0.8.6e Janus (interface wxWidgets)
> >>

> > Try an unstable build from http://nightlies.videolan.org
> >

> Same result.

Might be related to your libflac version

> >> I have a few questions about these parasites :
> >>
> >> The main question is : Is it a bug or a feature ?
> >>

> > Does it reproduce at fixed timestamps ?
>

> It are parasites frequencies that appear only in high frequencies. They
> appear between 6s and 13s...
>
> >> If it is a feature I would be very interested in the precise reason of
> >> these parasites, it looks like a sample problem, but I can't really
> >> understand. I also think it would be interesting to have an option in
> >> vlc to get the exact sound it is sensed to play, even if it takes more
> >> processor ressources.
> >>
> >> A lot of other softwares do not pass the test of this sweep, for example
> >> : gstreamer, mpg321... the only software that does it right is mplayer.
> >>

> > mplayer doesn't play the file, while gstreamer plays it well for me.
>

> It is sad that your mplayer (maybe you should bugreport ?) does not play
> it, because it is the only player that works well for me... gstreamer
> (like vlc) plays it, but adds parasites, we hear the sweep, and other
> strange frequencies...

I think every player use the same libflac to decode it:
dpkg -l libflac8 says:
ii  libflac8       1.2.1-1ubuntu2 Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C
librar

You should try to install flac and convert your file to wav, to see if
it's still the same.

> > Please use vlc at videolan.org in the future this is a more appropriate
> > mailing list.
> >
> > videolan-devel@ is reserved for ECP students afaik
>
> Done.
>
> By the way, http://www.videolan.org/support/lists.html does not work to
> subscribe to this list, I had to subscribe through

The page was not updated when we moved to mailman, I'll ask teh admins,
thanks.

--
Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>