[vlc] compiling vlc with ffmpeg

Craig Whitmore lennon at orcon.net.nz
Tue May 6 00:04:04 CEST 2008

I am having trouble with compiling ffmpeg with the latest development
version of vlc and ffmpeg

I compile ffmpeg with :
--enable-postproc --enable-gpl --enable-swscale

and then vlc with :
./configure --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-tree=/archives/VLC/ffmpeg
--disable-glx --disable-x264 --enable-swscaler --disable-glx
--disable-a52 --enable-libmpeg2

but the ffmpeg stuff does not get compiled at all when I run a make

when it runs the configure for vlc it says:

checking for libavcodec.a
in /archives/VLC/ffmpeg... /archives/VLC/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.a
checking for FFMPEG... yes
checking for SWSCALE... yes
checking ffmpeg/avcodec.h usability... no
checking ffmpeg/avcodec.h presence... no
checking for ffmpeg/avcodec.h... no
checking libavcodec/avcodec.h usability... yes
checking libavcodec/avcodec.h presence... yes
checking for libavcodec/avcodec.h... yes
checking ffmpeg/avformat.h usability... no
checking ffmpeg/avformat.h presence... no
checking for ffmpeg/avformat.h... no
checking libavformat/avformat.h usability... yes
checking libavformat/avformat.h presence... yes
checking for libavformat/avformat.h... yes
checking ffmpeg/avutil.h usability... no
checking ffmpeg/avutil.h presence... no
checking for ffmpeg/avutil.h... no
checking libavutil/avutil.h usability... yes
checking libavutil/avutil.h presence... yes
checking for libavutil/avutil.h... yes
checking ffmpeg/swscale.h usability... no
checking ffmpeg/swscale.h presence... no
checking for ffmpeg/swscale.h... no
checking libswscale/swscale.h usability... yes
checking libswscale/swscale.h presence... yes
checking for libswscale/swscale.h... yes

but config.h comes out as

/* Define to 1 if you have the <ffmpeg/avcodec.h> header file. */
/* #undef HAVE_FFMPEG_AVCODEC_H */

/* Define to 1 if you have the <ffmpeg/avformat.h> header file. */
/* #undef HAVE_FFMPEG_AVFORMAT_H */

/* Define to 1 if you have the <ffmpeg/avutil.h> header file. */
/* #undef HAVE_FFMPEG_AVUTIL_H */

/* Define to 1 if you have the <ffmpeg/swscale.h> header file. */
/* #undef HAVE_FFMPEG_SWSCALE_H */

Can anyone help. With older versions of vlc I've compiled the same say
the ffmpeg support works fine and gets compiled ok

Thanks