[vlc] h.264 display order issue?

Tony Verma tonyv at mobilygen.com
Fri Nov 7 01:15:50 CET 2008

I've been having troubles decoding H.264 files that contain B-frames
using 0.9.5 on OS X and 0.9.4 on Windows (older versions also seem to
have the problem).  Specifically, VLC appears to have a display ordering
problem for on some streams.  I suspect that it is a display order
problem because the issue only occurs when VLC tries to decode a stream
that has different decode order than display order - which is generally
the case with streams that contain B-frames.

On the screen the video looks like it takes one-step back then 2-step
forward.  Has anyone else encountered issues like this?

Also note that both mplayer and mainconcepts plays the same streams
without issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Tony