[vlc] VLC decoding issue with H.264 streams that contain B-frames

Tony Verma tonyv at mobilygen.com
Thu Nov 20 01:59:50 CET 2008

I've been having troubles decoding H.264 files that contain B-frames
using VLC.  The problem exists on every platform I've tried (OS X,
Linux, and Windows) using various versions of VLC, including 0.9.6,
0.9.5, 0.9.4 and 0.8.6.

I've uploaded an example H.264 file that shows the problem to your FTP
server: ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming

The file is called: test-IBP-frame.m4v

VLC appears to decode all the frames, but displays the frames
out-of-order.

Note that both mplayer and mainconcepts decode this stream without issue
-- so the stream appears to be valid.

Any help would be appreciated.

best regards,
-Tony