[vlc] Crop video when transcoding

Stefan Nowy snowy.mail at gmx.net
Sat Oct 11 13:03:13 CEST 2008

Hi!

I'm using vlc 0.9.4 on a mac to transcode TV recordings. Unfortunately
the video streams from some TV channels (for example the german channel
"Pro 7") have black areas above and below the picture (see for example
http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vlcfb3.jpg). I want to crop
these areas, so that there are no black areas anymore.
However if I am using the commandline interface I was not successful
cropping to the correct size (I tried several options but with no
success). Maybe somebody can give me an example on how to do this...

the commandline options I am using are the following:

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC -I dummy 001.ts
:sout="#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=2048,acodec=mp4a,ab=192,scale=1,channels=2,deinterlace=linear}:std{access=file,mux=mp4,dst=an.mpg}"
vlc://quit

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Regards,