[vlc] VLC 0.8.6 end of support

Keith Kyzivat kkyzivat at tripleplayint.com
Mon Sep 1 20:02:20 CEST 2008

Dotan,

No doubt this is because VLC is currently in transition.
Rolling out a release takes time, and, even though on the tree, 0.9.0 has
been released, that does not mean that binary packages have been rolled for
all platforms, nor has all testing for all platforms has taken place.

I think Reimi is a little perturbed because there is always a plethora of
people that come out of the woodwork complaining that there are no binary
packages for their distribution, etc, but hardly ever are there people to
come and help out to make that happen.

Just be aware that VLC is a community effort, and things only get done by
help from the community.

If you aren't going to help out, then don't complain that things are not
happening fast enough.

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/9/1 Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis at simphalempin.com>:
> >
> > On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 17:10:53 +0300, "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Thanks, Felix. I installed VLC from the instructions on this page:
> >> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html
> >>
> >> However, it still installs 0.8.6. I am on Kubuntu 8.04 and I use the
> >> apt-get command line interface to install. I do have the Universe repo
> >> installed.
> >
> > You need Ubuntu 8.10 for VLC 0.9.x. I doubt that Ubuntu will backport VLC
> > 0.9.x, and the VideoLAN project cannot provide binaries for plenty
> > different versions of different distros.
>
> Thanks, Rémi. If 0.8.6 is outdated and has security issues (as
> mentioned at the beginning of this thread), then why does the VLC
> website recommend it to be installed? If one browses to videolan.org
> -> Download -> Ubuntu, he then gets instructions for installing 0.8.6
> with no mention of 0.9.x branch. Furthermore, lower on the page there
> is warnings about _older_ versions, implying that the current version
> is safe.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Keith Kyzivat

SIPez LLC.
SIP VoIP, IM and Presence Consulting