[vlc] Bug with ogg vorbis track lengths

George Helyar ghelyar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 17:20:45 CEST 2008

VLC can't seem to handle ogg/vorbis track lengths properly. I can
calculate the track lengths accurately from the number of samples and
sample rate, so VLC should be able to easily enough. The same tracks in
other formats get the correct track length in VLC. Sometimes the tracks
are a few seconds longer than VLC says, sometimes they are a few seconds
shorter. This bug was in 0.8.6 and is still in 0.9.2.

For example, the following information was obtained by libvorbis on a
specific file:
2 channels, 44100Hz, 19443396 samples
19443396 / 44100 = 440 seconds (7 minutes 20 seconds) with integer
division but VLC thinks that this file is 7 minutes 27 seconds long when
it is in ogg/vorbis format (the same song as a WAV, FLAC or MP3 says
7:20). When VLC gets to 7:20, it stops anyway (and when it is too long
on other files, it keeps going past where it thinks the end is) so it
always actually plays the correct length but it shouldn't be too hard to
display this properly and this makes the slider more accurate too.

I didn't know where else to post this, as most of the site seems to be
dead links, including trac, the forums and the wiki.

George