[vlc] MP4 demultiplexing

Paul Trevethan plist at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 24 03:32:27 CEST 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:38:06 +0100
"Requester" <removeme.junk at hazlewoods.eu> wrote:

> Can VLC (either through the command-line, or GUI) demultiplex an MP4
> file into a video and audio files?
>
> If so, please can someone give an example.
>
> TIA.
>
> [ I have VLC 0.9.9 on Windows ]

I don't know the answer to your specific question, I only use vlc for
playback. However, I do LOTS of video creation & conversion to dvd, and
the most efficient video demuxer I have used is ProjectX. It runs on all
platforms because it is a java app. It handles mp4 ok. Here is a link for
Windows version:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ProjectX

I always use ProjectX to demux & tidy up then use mplex (at command line)
to remux the video pieces back into appropriate dvd format.

Hope this helps
Paul.