[vlc] [videolan] Can't find answer to VLC questions in FAQs or forums

Anthony Loiseau thannoy at actech-innovation.com
Mon Apr 27 10:26:55 CEST 2009

Hi,

Here are some answers, merged in your attached email:

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 16:59 -0700, Ken Bloom wrote:
> 1) Using VLC 0.9.4 on a .avi, a pop-up said "fixing avi index", but didn't
> indicate whether it had saved it back to the original file.  I assume it had
> because it didn't issue that pop-up the next time I played the same file.
> Otherwise I couldn't figure out how to write the "fixed" file ;) .  Is my
> previous assumption correct?
I think the file is fixed in place, with no backup but I might be wrong.

> 2) When I opened the vlc.exe and clicked on Help->Check for updates... , I
> got an error pop-up saying "An error occurred while checking for updates..."
> .  Tried several times with the same result.
Maybe there were an issue with updates check in 0.9.4 release which make it don't work.

> 3) I went to your website and downloaded vlc-0.9.9-win32.7z, which required
> 7-zip to open it into a local directory, rather than "installing" it.
> README.txt indicated the existence of an INSTALL.win32 or something like
> that which wasn't there.  A documentation link sent me to wiki where I was
> unable to find any instructions on installing into Windows XP, so I gave up.
> I'll stick with vlc-0.9.4 !
INSTALL.win32 is maybe not distributed there, you can read it at URL1.
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob_plain;f=INSTALL.wince;hb=HEAD

I advise you to use the installer (.exe link of URL2) which will do the
install for you. If you want to download and install it on another
computer, right-click the link and chose "save as". Then bring your
vlc-setup.exe on the computer you want for an off-line install.

URL1:http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob_plain;f=INSTALL.wince;hb=HEAD
URL2:http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

> If I missed some documentation along the way, I apologize, but sending
> people through gobs of information for simple answers doesn't seem to me to
> be the way to go.
7z and zip downloads do not include VLC installer, but all the required
stuff to create it, for your information. You can use NSIS (the compiler
use to create the installer) on the .nsi file and it will create you
the ../vlc-setup.exe installer.
It should be the same as downloading the .exe itself, at the end.