[vlc] Decoder/Encoder optimizations for Intel Core i7 and Nividia GPUs

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Apr 29 20:04:29 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 01:34:35PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote :
> FFmpeg, which VLC uses for most decoding, supports multi-threading for
> several codecs, though not H.264 (yet).  It also has support for
> nvidia gpu-acceleration of mpeg2, mpeg4, h.264, and vc-1.  Adding the
> necessary support in VLC to utilise this shouldn't be terribly
> difficult.

VLC can use VAAPI, using libva and fenrir's patch for VLC, which means
acceleration for Intel and nVidia cards on Linux.

> The Core i7 CPU doesn't differ substantially from older multi-core
> CPUs apart from the addition of SSE4 (or whatever it's called).  These
> new instructions could possibly speed up certain parts of the decoding
> process a little, but expect no miracles.  I'm not sure if there is
> any SSE4 code in FFmpeg yet.

I haven't seen some, I don't think FFmpeg configure even detects it
(SSSE3 yes, SSE4, no). For encoding in H264, x264 has support though...

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/