[vlc] Recovering An Overwritten Stream Recording

thoran mail at thoran.com
Tue Aug 4 04:29:46 CEST 2009

Hi,

I just overwrote hours of streaming which I'd recorded because I
pressed stop and then play again, thinking every so briefly that I
would then be listening to the current stream, but not writing to the
file!

I used the Streaming/Exporting Wizard to set this up and realised
moments too slowly that I might overwrite that file and that I don't
have to explicitly go back through  the Wizard to initiate capture of
the audio stream again.  My second thought was the correct one.

So, I would like to know how VLC handles file handles.

Is it likely that the overwriting of the file name creates a new inode
and leaves the existing recording and inode intact, but without an
entry in the filesystem?  Does VLC handle inodes directly, or does it
pass those kinds of responsibilities off to operating/file system
services?

I'm using a Mac and would like to know how best to go about recovering
this.

Thanks,

thoran