[vlc] Possible 1.01 bug

Frank Scott scott.frank2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 07:25:51 CEST 2009

A crash I have experienced happens mid way into videos that are played with
VLC details are as follows:

*Operating system: Windows Vista 32 bit
VLC Media Player version: 1.01 Goldeneye*

When playing a video with "Psychedelic", Gradient mode "Hough" - Cartoon,
Motion detect all enabled, VLC eventually crashes "vlc.exe has stopped
working" disabling each of these effects one by one still causes a crash,
the only work around I can find is to disable all

I have noticed that Windows reports the CPU usage increasing up to 100% and
remaining there - until VLC crashes or I close it
*I have reset the preferences in VLC with no improvement*

I do not think the video matters, as I have tried different videos encoded
with different codecs - and different formats such as AVI, WMV, VOB, MOV,
3GP, etc with the same result. NOTE: I have not tried a video file under 30
seconds, as I do not have one
AVI container encoded with
DivX H.263+ H.264 MPEG-4 or XviD
WMV container encoded with
MS-MPEG4-V2 WMV7 or WMV8
VOB container encoded with
MPEG-II
MOV container encoded with
DivX H.264, MPEG-4, or XviD
3GP container encoded with
MPEG-4 H.264 or XviD

Exact problem signature:

> Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
>   Application Name:    vlc.exe
>   Application Version:    1.0.1.0
>   Application Timestamp:    4a6cbcf0
>   Fault Module Name:    vlc.exe
>   Fault Module Version:    1.0.1.0
>   Fault Module Timestamp:    4a6cbcf0
>   Exception Code:    c0000005
>   Exception Offset:    00001746
>   OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
>   Locale ID:    1033
>   Additional Information 1:    001f
>   Additional Information 2:    babbd856d5f8fff792794ed58e551a04
>   Additional Information 3:    1c99
>   Additional Information 4:    ce0e6ab0c369a4429fb805a46a042f14

Full hardware specifications:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 AM2+ 3.0GHz (Quad core)*
RAM: 2 GB DDR2 800
*Video Card: 2 x NVIDIA 8600GT (SLI) *both hardware revison A1**
Driver version: 190.38 tried previous version - didn't work
Hard drive: 2 x 500GB SATA
      1 x 320GB SATA
Optical disk drive: 2 x LITE-ON DVD Burners with updated firmware (Model #
iHAS120-04 firmware 7L0E and LH-16A1S firmware CL04)
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe BIOS revision 1701
*Audio chipset: Analog Devices SoundMAX HD Digital Audio revision 1004*
*I've tried setting VLC to only execute on core 0, core 1, core 2, core 3 or
combinations of, but the problem persists
CPU instructions: MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a, x86-64
**Tried without SLI, doesn't improve the problem

Thanks in advance