[vlc] Problems With Update

Mark Kaye mark.kaye at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 16 01:36:30 CEST 2009

    Hello.  I hope this is the right place to report this.  I have
been updating to windows version 1.0.1 from 1.0.0.  When the older
version of the program starts, it notices that there is an update
available and then asks for a directory to download the update
to.  After selecting a directory, the program pauses and then comes
up with an error message stating that it cannot open the selected
directory for writing.  I then went to your web site and downloaded
the program manually and installed it without a problem.  I then went
to two other computers with the exact same results, whatever
directory I pick is not available for writing.  I have administrator
rights for all the computers.
    Another point that has always bothered me about the installation
is the delete cache and settings option.  As the program un-installs
the old version, it pops up a question box that gives you the option
to delete cache and preferences.  Then the program goes through the
un-install and starts the install of the new version.  At a point, it
asks what options you want to install and the box is so small that
the check box for un-install cache and preferences is not visible,
but is two pages down.  In the install, this box is checked again.  I
wonder how many people do not think to look to see if this box has
changed its status before proceeding?  Either this box should be at
the top of the list or the fact that it was clicked on in the
un-install should be remembered during the install.
    Great program, keep up the good work!

    Clear skies!
                MK

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mark.kaye/index.htm