[vlc] Video Files With Multiple Audio Tracks, Selecting English Audio.

mark griffith griffomark at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:38:21 CET 2009

Hello I have a question about how to set the audio track in a video file to
default to English.

I have a large playlist of short video files,
some of them have more than one audio track.
What happens is VLC is playing the 1st available Audio Track, and I want it
to default to playing the English audio track.
I don't want to have to select the proper Audio Track for each video.
I have been doing it this way but the settings do not stay the next time I
play the video.

I also use VLC Remote app for iphone and it can't change the Audio Track,
I would like for VLC Remote app to be able to toggle select the next
available audio track.
The developers of VLC Remote app told me it could not do that through the
http interface.

Sometimes the Audio played is the desired original English audio track, but
when there are multiple audio tracks available
such as a commentary or a dubbed track in a different language VLC is
playing the alternate tracks instead of English.
The problem is that the English language Audio Track is always the last one
one in the pulldown selection menu.
Sometimes it is the 3rd or 4th available Audio Track.
It seems like the Audio Track selection order is reversed from what I need
it to be.

My system is running Kubuntu Linux version 9.10
I use VLC to play videos ripped from dvds.
I watch the videos in .VOB format

I see the Audio Options has a place to specify the desired language, what is
the correct format to specify English?
Is it just the word: "ENGLISH"?

If this is something that I can get help with please let me know.

Thanks,
Mark