[vlc] VLC http streaming problems

Paul Chelmecki python1564 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 11:34:36 CET 2009

I am using VLC version 0.9.8a.

I am trying to stream videos through http so my girlfriend can watch
and control them at her house. I have the router set up with dynamic
dns, and a port forwarded to the computer containing the files to be
streamed. I have the streaming working, but when I try to connect
either with the ip address or the dyndns.org address, vlc asks for
http authentication. I have no idea why it's asking for a username or
password, since I never set one up.

I also want to know if it is possible to receive streams with vlc from
a network attached storage. I have a D-Link DNS-323 that has a upnp av
server built in, but I do not know how to connect to it with vlc to
watch the media files. I could set it up to download the files through
ftp but that would take too long, so I would want to stream them. I
have tried to follow the documentation but I am confused and can't get
it to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.