[vlc] Problem using VLC with "capture device"

LoneWolfSullivan lone.wolf.studio.toronto at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 14:30:04 CET 2009

Hello:

I want to view VHS videos on my PC with my VCR using VLC.

I have a Radeon video card for this.

Unfortunately, VLC is the only software I can find with a "capture device"
input.

Also unfortunate, is that the VLC software is extremely over-complicated to
use for this purpose and I cannot get it to work.

Most of the time there is no image.  When there is an image, it is usually
very poor quality.  However, sometimes for a few seconds when it starts the
image is very good.

I have tried everything by trial and error for HOURS!  Failure.  Caching and
making changes does no good.  There is absolutely nothing about this in your
FAQs (there never is) and I have a complete aversion to Forums--they are
useless and a place where this Lone Wolf does not belong.  I don't want to
join your VLC club, I just want to watch movies.

How do I configure VLC to simply display the image it receives from my
Radeon card in "capture device" mode?   Sound is not required, just a good
picture in real time.

What I want to do is simple and straight forward.  I am not a computer nerd,
and I refuse to become one.  It's great that VLC is the only software with
the "capture device" feature, but since it doesn' work easily, documentation
and SIMPLE instructions should be provided.

If you cannot help with this, I strongly urge VLC to get rid of the "capture
device" feature, because so far it has been a headache and waste of my time
for me.

WOLF