[vlc] Streaming rtsp to disk from Axis rtsp/mp4 webcam

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 12:07:25 CET 2009

Hi All,

I have VLC 0.9.8a installed under FreeBSD 7.1. I'm trying to use it to
stream rtsp/mp4 from an Axis webcam to disk, as a QuickTime file - using
the following command line:

cvlc rtsp://192.168.0.23:554/mpeg4/media.amp --sout file/mov:test.mov
--no-audio --no-sout-display --no-sout-mp4-faststart

This does actually work - the resultant ".mov" file can be opened by
Quicktime, on, say, Windows. It does play - but I've got the following
issues:

 - The original video source is 25fps, 640x480 the generated Quicktime file
is marked as 23.92fps - a result of which is it plays 'too fast' (this
actually isn't a critical issue, but I can't see anyway to 'stamp' the QT
file as 25fps from vlc).

 - If I make a 'small' .mov file (e.g. 20-50mb) - QT under windows opens
it, and will immediately let it play.

   If I make a larger file, as the file size gets larger - QT will still
open the file, but 'pauses' for an exponentially longer period of time (as
the file size goes up), before letting you hit the play button to start
playback.

   As the file size gets even larger (>200Mb) QT will pause, let you hit
play - and although the Seconds/Minutes go 'up' on the player - the video
does not play (but you can still drag the slider through it).

   As the file size get >400Mb - QT will open, pause - and then crash.

Yet the same player will play any native QT/Mp4 file I throw at it - up to
several hundred Mb, and doesn't 'pause' for any amount of time.

I've tried with/without faststart - it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can anyone suggest any way to fixup the framerate - and what's likely to be
causing the crashes?

Is there any other way I can save the contents - e.g. to an AVI file or
something? - I don't really want to have to transcode the content, but if
that's the only way to do it reliably, I'll take the hit on it if someone
can suggest a cmd line?

With the current capture running the amount of CPU time consumed is,
basically zero (which is nice - hence the reason to avoid transcoding if at
all possible).

I don't mind installing another codec on windows if I have to (I don't know
enough to know if mp4 can even be wrapped in AVI or something alternative
to Quick time?)

-Kp