[vlc] duplicate handling

Abhijit Choudhury (achoudhu) achoudhu at cisco.com
Thu Jan 15 18:21:33 CET 2009

I would like to ask a quick question to the VLC experts on this

Mailer.

Suppose we have a video mcast stream over UDP coming in to a laptop

running VLC. Let's assume the laptop is running Windows XP.

When the stream comprises  IP packets A, B, C, D, E, F....

the video shows fine on VLC.

What would happen when

A)the stream is  A, A, B, B, C, C, E, E, F, F...

   - every packet is duplicated at the IP level - same IP pkt header

     and payload On every duplicate

B) the stream is  A, B,  C, A, D, E, F, B,C, G

   - every packet is duplicated at the IP level, but don't

     necessarily arrive back to back

C) the stream is A, B, C, A, D, E, F,

      - an occasional packet is duplicated at the IP level

What I'm trying to understand is whether VLC can detect and weed out

duplicates.  If someone could explain, exactly how VLC deals with

cuplicates, that'd be great.

Thanks,

Abhijit