[vlc] WMV..MPEG..Audio support

TwoTailedFox twotailedfox at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 22:29:39 CET 2009

Funny, I've had this problem with some files.

VLC by and large plays WMVs and MPEG files for me great, but very
occasionally, poorly encoded ones will not have full sound, none at all, or
choppy sound.

I wonder if this could be down to VLC's error detection and handling, since
the offending files played fine with WMP,

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Keith Kyzivat <kamaji at gmail.com> wrote:

> You'll need to provide more information before anyone can make any sort of
> judgement.VLC logs when trying to play back one of these files would be
> helpful.
> I'm assuming your OS is a Windows OS..
>
> To get logs, go to the Tools->Messages dialog -- this will show logs.
>
> To get more verbose logging, before you start your videos, change the
> Verbosity Level in the lower left corner of that dialog to 2.
> The dialog does not have to be open for the logging to be captured.
>
> Once you've captured logs, reply back here with them, and someone may have
> a chance of identifying the problem.
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Andrew <electrified_toad at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  So I'd be shocked to actually get a reply..I bet you get all sorts of
>> emails from people hoping you'll turn water to wine & make the end all be
>> all native player for a codecless computer
>>
>> I've got this video player made by TMD..used to be an popular cam rip
>> scene group a long time ago now..
>>
>> Anyway..with this player I'm able to play WMV & MPEG with audio & video
>> with no problem
>>
>> For a long time now with VLC I try & play the same files & get no sound..I
>> can hear a quick blip of sound when skipping or unpausing throughout the
>> video playing in vlc..
>>
>> so my question is why does this..long..long since dead video player do
>> these formats in particular so well when vlc can not :-/
>>
>> I can send the player if anyone is interested in comparing
>>
>> Thanks,

> Keith Kyzivat
>
> SIPez LLC.
> SIP VoIP, IM and Presence Consulting
> http://www.SIPez.com
> tel: +1 (617) 273-4000

"I had a handle on life, but then it broke"