[vlc] problems with container files such as AVIs

Ryo Kimball ryokimball at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 17:12:39 CET 2009

In Arch Linux, I seem unable to play AVIs in VLC correctly. If I use the
test packages I get a blue-tinted image (see picture, with comparison to
Mplayer). When using the latest stable, I can't get any video (I get error
messages such as "VLC does not support the audio or video format 'XVID'.
Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."). This happens with AVI,
MKV... pretty much everything I have except MPGs.

Sincerely,
Ryo Kimball

P.S. I'd guess it's a problem with dependencies... If there are no other
suggestions, might someone at least direct me to a list of the needed
decoders?