[vlc] Encoded/Saved Files Never Have Video

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at videolan.org
Mon Jan 19 08:45:41 CET 2009

Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Hal Vaughan wrote:
>> This problem first showed up with .mts files, but I'm having the same
>> problem with .mp4 files now.  I'm on Ubuntu Intrepid Linux and I have
>> downloaded all the codecs.  Whenever I try to transcode a file in
>> VLC, I end up with an output file with audio and no video.  I've
>> fiddled with settings and tried different input files, but I never
>> get video output.
>>
>> What do I need to do to make this work?

1) do not use debian or ubuntu because they come with crippled codec
libraries.
OR
2) deinstall ffmpeg and compile it yourself from ffmpeg source code

> Previously someone told me what video codecs I needed to install to make
> this work.  I've installed them.
>
> Is this not the right place to get help with this?

Yes it is, but you need to give us more information:
- what VLC version are you using?
- send us the logging output of vlc
- send the commandline used.

> I'm using another program to transcode .mts files from my HD camcorder
> to MP4 because VLC just can't do the job, but that program won't let me
> convert the files from 16:9 to 4:3 so I can put them on DVD sfor other
> people.  I was hoping VLC could do that, but since it seems unable to
> transcode a file and produce video output, is there another program I
> should use, another place to get help, or something I need to try or
> specific output to look for that can help others who might know what is
> wrong?
>
> Hal

Gtz
Jean-Paul Saman.