[vlc] A notification of a possible problem.

Jim Beall jimb at jimwarr.com
Thu Jan 29 23:22:13 CET 2009

I run Win XP Pro & my OS is as current as the automatic updates allow.
Version 2002, SP3 + current updates.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop  with a Pentium 4,  2.66GHz
processor and  512MB RAM

Earlier (several weeks ago), I downloaded VLC Media Player 9.4 so I could
convert a *.flv  file  to a  *.wmv file.   I achieved success.

Today, I again ran VLC to convert another flv file.   Each time I tried to
accomplish the conversion,  the output file contained NO audio.   When I
closed the VLC application, I got an error message.   Thinking a newer
version software might solve the problem, I downloaded and installed the 9.8
version today.

The 9.8 version version behaved the same way.  (No audio in the output file
and on exit, an error message.)  Below is a screen shot of the error
message:

The only way I achieved success was to use a DIFFERENT converter to convert
the flv file to an mpg file, and then use VLC to convert the mpg file to
wmv.

It is very likely that I did something wrong, but just in case, I felt you
should know what happened with my system.

Jim