[vlc] Bug/hang

Ron Beck RonB at borgwaldtkc.com
Wed Jul 8 16:00:27 CEST 2009

I just installed VLC v1.0.0.  I experienced a hang.  I don't do IRC, so
I'm not sure I can get this into the bug tracking system.  Everything
was default, out-of-the-box, never installed before.  Running on Vista
Business, SP1, AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 5000+ 2.6 GHz, 2GB RAM.

I was watching a short .mpg file from a flash drive on a USB port.  I
hit the frame-by-frame button.  I was clicking the frame-by-frame button
repeatedly to step through the scene, but it seemed to get
sluggish/unresponsive.  I went to the view/customize interface... dialog
and tried to drag Step-backward and Step-forward buttons to the first
line of the toolbar, next to the frame-by-frame icon.  When I went back
to the player, all I had was the two added buttons on the first line.  I
dragged the two buttons back to the tool box, and now I don't have
anything on the first line.  The other icons still show up in the
toolbar editor, but not on the player window.

I tried to restart the application, but it will not quit.  It is stuck
in my toolbox in the "paused" state.  I can't stop or quit or play.  I
can't eject the flash drive, since it still has the .mpg open.  Task
manager says it is taking 2-8% of the processor, and the memory usage is
fluctuating around 32,320K.  I was able to kill the application with the
task manager, so everything is back to normal, except I don't see the
first line of my tool bars anymore.

Thanks,

Ron Beck, Software Engineer

Borgwaldt KC, Inc.
7741 Whitepine Rd
Richmond, VA 23237 USA

Phone:   804-271-6471 x11
Fax:        804-275-9070
Email:     ronb at borgwaldtkc.com <mailto:ronb at borgwaldtkc.com>
Web:      http://www.borgwaldt.com <http://www.borgwaldt.com/>

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed
and may contain confidential information. Unless stated to the contrary,
any opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent
the official view of the company. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this
message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any
purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you for
your cooperation.