[vlc] Gray display for all videos w/VLC 1.0 (portable and normal install)

Alec Burgess buralex at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 08:10:01 CEST 2009

After downloading and installing V:C 1.0 it played a number of video
files correctly but then started showing an empty gray window though
sound continues to play correctly.

Per suggestion in http://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html I removed
vlcrc (for both the Portable and normal installation) then re-tried
same video - no joy. both still show blank gray window.

Per suggestion in
=========================
Why is my video purple? (a.k.a. the smurf effect)

Not sure. But many people have fixed this problem by changing their
video output module.

Go to Preferences -> Video -> Output modules, and set Video output
module to something different, like DirectX video output. Be sure you
have advanced options enabled to be able to access this option. Also,
you might need to disable the "YUV -> RGB" checkbox in DirectX section
of Preferences -> Video -> Output modules.

I changed "Video output module" to from Default to DirectX (only
available under Advanced settings).

I also disabled "Use Hardware YUV -> RGB" checkbox per above solution
to (I think) a different problem.

I'm stumped ... any suggestions? (2 days after installation I'm still
getting the "The forum and wiki have been disabled due to high load
during the VLC 1.0.0 release." message so figured I might as well try
this email address.