[vlc] Near "real-time" Streaming

Matt sourceholder at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 04:10:07 CEST 2009

Hey there,

I am looking for a way to capture my desktop screen and transmit it
over the network to a nearby computer (local LAN), with minimal
latency. The command below works (VLC v0.8.6), except there is about a
2 second delay on the destination computer. The destination system is
also running VLC v.8.6 connected via a local gigabit LAN switch. The
CPUs in both systems have plenty of margin, so I do not suspect the
hardware to be directly responsible for the delay.

VLC startup command on video source computer:
vlc screen:// :screen-fps=30 :screen-caching=50 :sout-udp-caching=0
:udp-caching=0 :rtsp-caching=0 :tcp-caching=0
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=2048,scale=1,acodec=mpga,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp{caching=0,raw},mux=ts,dst=192.168.1.104:1234}}

I have disabled networking caching on the destination (client) computer:
udp://192.168.1.104  :udp-caching=0

I have gone through the VLC documentation looking for any caching or
buffers, setting all of them to zero or some very small value (as seen
above). Based on my testing, my attempts to set cache values to "0"
does not have any noticeable effect in comparison to default settings.
My guess is that there is a "cache" built into VNC somewhere that is
causing the ~2000ms delay, but I have not been able to identify it.

Is there anything I can due to reduce or eliminate the delay? Any
thoughts in general?