[vlc] UDP receiving - how is it done ?

Arioch the_Arioch at nm.ru
Wed Mar 4 10:04:49 CET 2009

Our local ISP features a set of TV-channels but only via www-page with
Mozilla/VLC (they seems to copy that example from docs, but failed to do the
same for Internet Explorer and Opera ;-).

Ok, after all it is not that hard to extract MRL's from there.
And they all ar of a UDP:@IP:port kind. Stand-alone VLC renders them fine
except the usual corruption of russian text. However i cannot find any non-МДС
player, capable of displaying those streams.

Then i try to connect 2 PC's via NAT (router) and - it all works but the TV.

Wiki does not have any thorough description of what is UDP protocol for VLC,
so i left wondering...

1) what happens, when МДС (client) connects to UDP: source ?
Does it somehow 'connects' to the server, opens the route for IP packets, asks
server to send packets to one more IP ?
There are hundreds of PC's on the net and there are tens of channels, i do not
think that every single seconds all those PC's are rceiving packets for all
tens of videostreams.

2) How make VLC utilise port-forwarding on WinXP ? Router is UPnP capable.

Usually UDP is easier to trespass NAT - since there is no 'connection' of TCP-
style, NAT's fall down to heuristics and after outgoing UDP packets pass, they
tend to open bi-directional passthrough between LAN-IP-Port and WAN-IP-port.
So, i'm surprised about that failure. I thought VLC when connecting to UDP MRL
sends a packet to make server send the stream to one more receinving PC. Seems
it does not.

I can't made static port forwarding since
a) i cannot foretell, which local port would VLC use to receive UDP datagrams.
b) i want to be able to watch video on both PC's and static routes can only be
made for single PC
c) i am not 100% sure that the list of provided videostreams and its MRL's is
never changed
d) i'd like to use internal DHCP, rather than static IP's - though that later
is more of personal taste rather than requirement.