[vlc] subtitles & crop collision

Mcarthy Billy wackyp37 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 18:51:59 CET 2009

I found this collision between subtitles text and  the newly introduced crop
function in the latest versions in Windows XP.
If I crop my screen to a certain ratio, the subtitles are also cropped at
the left, right and bottom.
On the other hand, this doesn't happen with 'mute (keyboard shortcut = m)'
and '
show time (keyboard shortcut = t)' : each of their icons is placed according
to the crop ratio, and thus always visible at the right place.
This bug also happens with the file name that is shown when I start to play
a movie.(when it's very long)
I think the current vlc doesn't have options for maximum characters per line
or the proportion of the entier horizontal video width to be taken by
subtitles, but such options woudln't remove this problem, as they would have
to be manually changed whenver I change the crop ratio.. So this shall be
adjusted at least partly automatically by vlc, in my opinion.
By the way, automatic cropping has been discussed lately in the forum, about
the old filter that detects and remove black borders on the video, I think
this is interesting, but as a beginner don't understand how correctly this
is done, or how much resources it takes. But I think a much simpler one will
be useful: automatically crop if the ratio of the movie is greater or less
than a certain number.
Also, it would be helpful to let users completely customize the list of
ratios (for crop & ar correction) to be cycled. There're too many unusual
ratios for me, as 1:1, and so on. It bothers me a little. now, you can add a
ratio to the list, but not remove it. And add keyboard shortcuts to cycle
back the list : shift+c (for crop) and shift+a (for ar).
I think we need more keyboard shortcuts in general. For example we have many
filters that can be controlled in the effect & filters (ctrl+e) window. But
this control window can't even be opened in fullscreen mode, and we have to
click many times to perform a task.
So adding keyboard shortcuts for some filters... what do you think?