[vlc] Simpsonit.mpg in ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming

Veli-Matti Truhponen veli-matti.truhponen at kolumbus.fi
Wed Mar 25 03:36:29 CET 2009

Hi

I uploaded a sample file, which is unplayable with VLC player 0.8.6d and
also with the latest 0.9.8a.

I don't suppose that it's caused by HW, since the problem is the same
with another computer, but here it goes:
- AOpen i855gmem-lfs with 2Gb memory, 1,8GHz Pentium-M (Dothan)
- Gigabyte GF7600
- D-Link DWA-547
- 2x Nebula Digi-TV -cards

The recording is from Nebula Digi-TV -card and with certain options the
recording cannot be opened with Windows Media Player or VLC player,
but it can be played back with the Nebula Digi-TV software and I can
load it to Pinnacle Studio 12 editor and there's no problem in playing
it back
or handling it there. I can also load it to some other video editors and
players, like Video ReDo 3 or DVB Viewer 2.3, so it is readable by other
programs as well.

It seems that the "recording format" option is the one setting that
makes the difference. There are the following options in digitv.exe
-software:
Original Broadcasting Format (this was used with the simpsonit.mpg -file)
DVD authoring tool compatible

It seems that the files recorded with "original broadcasting format"
cannot be understood with current version of VLC -player. It would be
nice, if VLC player would
be able to recognize this format as well.

Thank you for your time.

BR,
  Vellu