[vlc] Upscaling technology

Steve Bondi sbondi at prospricing.com
Wed Nov 25 21:55:34 CET 2009

Hi,

Thanks for an awesome app - the VLC player!!! :)

I use it with my 24" iMac, and I was wondering about upscaling.  Note that I am used to my Samsung Blu-ray player (BDP-1500) upscaling my Standard DVD's to 1080p resolution on my 60" plasma TV.  I have always been in awe with how good the SD's look up on the big screen ... awesome upscaling!

When I first played a Standard DVD on my beautiful iMac display using Snow Leopard's DVD Player app, I was extremely disappointed at the picture ... very poor upscaling showing blockiness.  I was surprised by this.  But then I tried it with VLC on a similar .VOB file on my harddrive, and it was not much better.

I am guessing that by default a very simple algorithm must be used to translate the 720x480 content to the 1900x1200 screen ... nothing like the sophisticated upscaling that my Samsung Blu-ray player must be implementing.

Is there a VLC setting/plug-in for better upscaling of non-HD content?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Bondi
stevebondi at comcast.net