[vlc] UDP stream with dropped packets

Carlo Giannelli carlo.giannelli at unibo.it
Wed Oct 14 18:49:58 CEST 2009

Hello,

in my application a server sends a mp3 file via udp stream,
dropping some of the packets (e.g., 10%) intentionally.

On the client side I save the stream on a file exploiting the following
command:
vlc udp://:1234 --sout file/raw:d:/audio_processed.mp3

The saved file is shorter than the original one,
since vlc saves received packets sequentially.
Instead I would like that the saved file contains an hole
whenever the server drops a packet;
in this manner original and saved files would have the same length.
Is it possible to say to vlc to save the stream continuously,
inserting silence if it doesn't receive anything?

Thank you very much in advance,
Carlo