[vlc] Solved: How to store streaming station presets in Windows VLC

John Hicks johnlist at gulfbridge.net
Sun Oct 18 09:03:20 CEST 2009

I finally figured out how to store station presets in VLC. (This makes
it much more useful to me and the listeners to the streaming radio
station I am affiliated with.)

Here is the section I just added to the VLC Windows Wiki at
http://wiki.videolan.org/Windows. (I don't know if this applies to any
other platforms.)

    How to store streaming station presets

To use VLC as a streaming client, store your station presets under the
Media Library on the Playlist panel (not the bookmarks and not the
actual playlist).

   1. Open the playlist panel (Ctrl-L or click on the Playlist button).
   2. Click on the Plus button at the bottom of the panel. (A dropdown
      menu will appear.)
   3. Select "Advanced Open" from the dropdown menu. (A new panel, named
      Open Media, will appear.)
   4. Select the "Networking" tab on the Open Media panel.
   5. Enter the full URL of the streaming station in the Address field.
      e.g. http://mystation.org:8000/mystream.ogg
   6. Click the Enqueue button at the bottom of the panel.

Hope this helps.

John