[vlc] Resizing with and without swscale

Patrice Bouchand pbfwdlist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 13:51:10 CEST 2009

Hello,

 I'm using vlc on an embedded low power ppc cpu based device. The OS is
linux and vout  is X11. The video device is a simple 16bits frame buffer
with no acceleration at all.  Till now, I have used vlc 0.8.6 which was
working fine. I have switched recently to vlc 1.0.0 and then I'm facing
problem to use --width and --height parameters.

* If I compile and use ffmpeg/vlc *WITH* libsswscale support, I can resize
the video as I want but unfortunately, video colors are not the awaited one
(people faces are blue) and it requires a lot of CPU power even if I specify
"--swscale-mode 4".

* If I compile and use ffmpeg/vlc  *WITHOUT* libsswscale support, not all
the resizing values are supported and I'm encountering "no chroma module"
error. But when I use compliant resizing values, the colors are the right
one and cpu consumption is better than the one I get with libswscale.

So, what can I do to:
* Have the right colors with libswscale support and reduce cpu consumption ?
* Make the resizing work with any values without libswscale, as in vlc 0.8.6
?

 Thanks for your time and providing such a good player.

      Best regards

               Patrice Bouchand