[vlc] Howto "dump raw input"

Peter Daum gator_ml at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 26 18:47:44 CEST 2010

On 2010-04-24 17:41, Peter Daum wrote:
> I am struggling to get vlc to just dump the raw input data stream to a
> file, something that seems to be directly supported by vlc, but I just
> can't get it to work. Using vlc 0.8.6 from Debian lenny, it sometimes
> works via the "Wizard", but not via the "Stream/Save" button. I also
> compiled the latest version (1.0.6) with mostly the same result. So
> either I fundamentally misunderstand something or this options just
> doesn't work. Here's what I do:
>
> - Choose some input, e.g. with the menu option "Media|Convert/Save".
> - Click on the "Convert/Save" Button
> - enter a destination file
> - ignore the "Profile" option and instead
> - mark the "Dump raw input" checkbox
> - and finally click on "Start"
>
> Unfortunately, instead of dumping the data to file, vlc always _plays_
> the input without creating any file. It doesn't make any difference,
> whether the "display the output" option is checked. Transcoding the
> input data seems to work as expected (same procedure, "Dump raw input"
> unchecked and some profile chosen (actually there always is a profile
> chosen ...)
>
> I also tried the following command line, that seems to be equivalent:
> vlc <input stream> :demux=dump :demuxdump-file=/some/file
> with the same result.
>
> I'd really appreciate if somebody could enlighten me what's going wrong ...

Unfortunately the problem does not seem to be a misunderstanding; when I
try to dump a local file, all the different methods I described above
will work, so it looks like this problem only occurs with certain input
media.

Is this a known problem? Is there a known workaround?
As said, the "wizard" in VLC 0.8.6 works - does this wizard internally
use some different function? Is it possible, to directly call this via
command line? Is there something similar in current vlc versions or do I
have to keep vlc 0.8.6?

So many questions - hoping for some answers ;-)

Regards,
                     Peter