[vlc] playlist not surviving shutdown

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Thu Aug 26 02:45:35 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 01:20:03PM +0400, Arioch wrote:
> В письме от Mon, 23 Aug 2010 07:44:09 +0400, Robert Holtzman
> <holtzm at cox.net> сообщал:
>
> >program and reopen it I can't open the playlist.
>
> very vague desctiption.
> Is there any error ? misbehaviour?
>

> >Anyone have any ideas?
>
> just to cat it and see if it contains valid content ?
> save it with extension, be it .m3u or .xplf or whatever supported by VLC ?

Sorry to be late with this reply but I've been digging into vlc trying to
find out some more about my problem.

If I open an fm radio stream and save it to either an m3u or xspf file
it will play when I open it, it survives and plays, but I get a lot of
error messages. I've posted these on

http://ubuntu.pastebin.com/GjA0vmTK

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Simply adding an extension to the playlist file didn't work. I tried all
listed in the knowledge base. Only opening a stream and saving it with a
typed in extension worked.

What I don't understand is that I had created two playlists, one for fm
streams and one for the CDs stored on the computer with the vlc version
packaged with Ubuntu 8.04. These were both saved with no extension and
played when opened. I still have the one for the Cd collection and it plays
*now*....no extension. The fm playlist I had created wouldn't. The problem
appeared when I switched to 10.04. Both the files displayed the same
content they had in 8.04.

My apologies for the length of this post.

Thanks for your time.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279