[vlc] Compiling fails: Missing libX11.la on Mac OS X 10.6.4.

asym asym asymmail at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 30 17:05:08 CEST 2010

Hello,

yesterday I tried to compile the git master of VLC on Mac OS X 10.6.4.
Following the Wiki (http://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile), I updated XCode to
the latest version. (3.2.3)

Here is my logfile: http://pastebin.com/FH1rB7si and the particular error I
received:

> CCLD libcaca_plugin.la
> grep: /usr/X11/lib/libX11.la: No such file or directory
> sed: /usr/X11/lib/libX11.la: No such file or directory
> libtool: link: `/usr/X11/lib/libX11.la' is not a valid libtool archive

According to this Thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2250974, the static
libX11.la is no longer shipped with Snow Leopard.

These libX11*.dylibs are available on my System:
/usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.2.0.dylib
/usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib
/usr/X11/lib/libX11.dylib

If I remove the static library references from extras/contrib/build/lib/
libcaca.la, VLC compiles fine but freezes when I try to run it. (Maybe a
different problem?)

Any help or workaround is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance