[vlc] What are the metada that VLC player check/reads before play

Ravinder ravinder.bhukya at zenmediasolutions.net
Fri Jan 29 10:49:55 CET 2010

Hi all,

I want to know few things which will be performed before playing a content.

1.       What are the metadata that VLC player is reading and checking in
the container?

2.       How VLC is deciding which container need to be used to parse? Is
this container is decided based on the extension of the video file or the
file itself contains the information? if it is decided based on the
extension of the file in that case what happens if I rename a file with some
other extension and try to play the file (in either case file is getting
played) ?

3.       What are the mandatory metadata that a container must be contained
( like video codec, audio codec, frame rate etc.)?

Pl. help me in knowing the details and how important that the metadata to
play a particular content.

Thanks in advance,

Ravi