[vlc] Separate Mailing List For Mac Users? [Mac]

WordWeaver777 wordweaver777 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 12:09:45 CEST 2010

At 9:56 AM +0200 on 7/4/10, kenneth krabat wrote:

>2006 - no more RAM possible (1.5GB) . VLC it plays fine. It just
>crashes, if I don't treat it like a lady and do things in certain
>way. Could be bus crashes, I don't know, but it always happens when
>I close the movie window, before stopping the movie. Then I have to
>re-start the machine in order to get VLC playing again. it's a 12"
>G4 1.5GHz - that size don't come more impressive ;-)
>
>MKVs... forget it. I reencode them, If I really need it.

Hello Kenneth,

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I have three
ten-year-old G4 towers sitting here at the house: 400 MHz,
500 MHz and 733 MHz. I've done everything within my power to
keep these faithful old beasts alive, but the 500 MHz and 733
MHz machines now sit on the floor, stone cold dead, while the
400 MHz is still used to run my website, BBS, and a few
related services.

Of the three, IIRC, only the 733 MHz tower -- maxed out at
1.5 GB of RAM -- was able to play a few MKV's using VLC, but
usually not. The 500 MHz could only play AVI's, but no larger
than 720 x 352 or so, and usually smaller. MKV's and other HD
content was totally out of the question on the 500 MHz tower.
The 400 MHz tower is even worse. It can't even play the
typical 350 MB TV episode.

Due to their age, I couldn't go beyond VLC 0.86 on any of
them, because they lack the necessary hardware. You need to
remember that these older machines only have 16 to 32 MB of
VRAM, which is a far cry from the 512 MB of VRAM that I have
in this i7 iMac, which also has 8 GB of RAM. I am in viewing
heaven with this new iMac!  :)

Given the age and hardware limitations of those machines, it
is no wonder that I was constantly having problems with VLC,
if I tried to go beyond 0.86. I also recall times where I had
to reboot my machines in order to use VLC again -- just like
you -- but the problem wasn't with VLC, it was throwing too
much at my old machines.

I am curious though. Why would you want to close a window
before stopping a movie? That sounds like asking for trouble
to me.  :)

Finally, when you have had these VLC crashes, have you looked
at the Console window. It could definitely tell you a lot,
and if you don't understand what it means, I bet if you post
the contents of the Console window on the VideoLan.org
messageboard in the OSX troubleshooting section, you would
eventually get an answer from j-b, Pierre, Felix or someone
else.

SnidelyW