[vlc] Do you envisage to replace previous shoutcast by radiotime.com service ?

Rémi Duraffort ivoire at videolan.org
Thu Jul 8 10:47:48 CEST 2010

>>> PS: i'd like to say that www.aimp.ru player plays fine with both IceCast
>>> and ShoutCast
>>> I guess it directly uses web-site rather than some specific API. So no
>>> strange licenses affect it.
>> They do have the same problem as VLC. Making a software that directly use
>> the content of a web site without the authorisation of this website is
>> illegal. In this case you must agreed to the license.
>
> aaah, i see. Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Opera, Chrome - they are all
> ilegall now.
No as the only display the content of it. They do not extract some
information ithout showing the website.

> Google, Bing, Yahoo and all those engines, using search crawler robots -
> illegal too.
That's a good question. For the french law (at least) that's forbidden
to link directly to a webpage which is not the main page of the website
(completelly stupid). I'm quit sure some over countries has these kind
of laws. That's just a matter of applying or not stupid laws. In this
case shoutcast asked us to respect the license. And they have the right
to do it. Every player that use their (crappy) services must respect this crappy
license. That's all.

>> That's not the same problem. Here you'r talking about software patent
>> which dose not exist in Europe.
> But you do not restrict distribution with Europe
Yes. The problem is mostly in the US where you must pay the MPEG-LA to
use any decoder :)

--
Rémi Duraffort | ivoire