[vlc] vlc play list doesn't (play)

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sun Jul 25 01:46:39 CEST 2010

Running Ubuntu 10.04 w/ VLC 1.0.6-1ubuntu1.1. I can create a playlist
for streaming fm and succeed in having it play. However, if I shut down
the computer and later boot it, call up vlc , and try to open the fm
play list I get nothing. The file still contains content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<playlist version="1" xmlns="http://xspf.org/ns/0/"
xmlns:vlc="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/ns/0/">
        <title>Playlist</title>
        <trackList>
                <track>
                        <location>file:///home/holtzm/playlist_fm</location>
                        <image>file:///home/holtzm/.cache/vlc/art/title/playlist_fm/art.jpg</image>
                        <extension
application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0">
                                <vlc:id>0</vlc:id>
                        </extension>
                </track>
                <track>
                        <location>http://kjzz.streamguys.org:80</location>
                        <title>KJZZ</title>
                        <extension
application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0">
                                <vlc:id>1</vlc:id>
                        </extension>
                </track>
        </trackList>
#EXTINF:0,07 - 'Round Midnight.ogg
/home/holtzm/Music/At the Blackhawk/07 - 'Round Midnight.ogg
        <extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0">
                        <vlc:item tid="0" />
                        <vlc:item tid="1" />
        </extension>
</playlist>

and the ownership, group and permissions of the two play list files are
identical. The cd play list was created with vlc running on Ubuntu 8.04,
the version being whatever was installed by that distribution, and the
content has the form:

#EXTINF:0,07 - 'Round Midnight.ogg
/home/holtzm/Music/At the Blackhawk/07 - 'Round Midnight.ogg

Just tried creating a test cd play list and it's content is of the same
form as the fm play list and won't play either.

It appears that there has been a change somewhere. Any help getting
play list created with my present version of VLC would be appreciated.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279