[vlc] Sick of OSX version

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Jun 7 13:41:06 CEST 2010

Dear Boybunny.

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:19:31AM +1000, boybunny wrote :
> I have started, and i will continue to point out the glaring failure of VLC
> to release a modern version for earlier versions of OSX on all stories that
> discuss VLC.

You can use Xcode, download VLC and compile it on OSX earlier versions.
You can spend the time you want to fix the issues that will arrive.

> I feel that the OSX programmer of VLC is trying to force people to buy new
> versions of OSX or upgrade their hardware, helping Apples profit margin.

No, no and no.

Apple forces us to update, because if you want to be X.5 and X.6
compatible and also 64bits compatible, you NEED to drop X.4.
There is almost no choice, except maintaining a complete fork of VLC,
which we don't have time to.

> For moral reasons I will ever purchase another Apple product. So my families
> Macs are never going to be upgraded. We also use a lot of legacy software...
> Programs like Corel Draw for OSX and Flash 4 that do not run on newer
> versions of OSX. You may as well change your rude message to Apple owners to
> "VLC will NEVER work on OS9, OSX Panther, OSX Jaguar or OSX Tiger" because
> you have such outdated code for earlier versions of VLC that VLC is USELESS
> on these platforms!
>
> VLC 0.9 for OSX is nothing more than a glorified MP3 player... and buggy at
> that.

Seriously, don't buy Apple software and shitty hardware, it is buggy,
broken and expensive. Moreover, it doesn't offer any upgrade and they
don't care about their customers...

Try this:
http://www.linuxmint.com/

Best Regards,