[vlc] Sick of OSX version

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Jun 8 13:49:42 CEST 2010

Hello,

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 04:14:54AM -0700, Jeff Snyder wrote :
> > Seriously, don't buy Apple software and shitty hardware, it
> > is buggy,
> > broken and expensive. Moreover, it doesn't offer any
> > upgrade and they
> > don't care about their customers...

> I am assuming that the above comment is meant to be understood as a joke. I've been a solid Macintosh user since 1990, and I would never consider switching to another platform.
No, it isn't a joke.
- Owning a macbook, I can say that the hardware is way worse than Thinkpads.
- OS X has so many flows it isn't funny, read vlc-devel to see the issues
  in libiconv, libfontconfig, pthread implementation, ASM linking, gcc old
  versions, and so many others.
- Apple doesn't give a shit about older versions... Do you know that VLC
  1.1.0 works on Windows 2000 (OS.X.0 wasn't even out), without important
  modifications? Try to just compile it on X.4 or X.3, and let's talk again.
- Apple therefore doesn't care about its customers, since they are
  forced to update, or upgrade programs, like the one on this thread.

So, sorry, I have to stay on my position.

This doesn't mean that we should drop OS X, this is completly orthogonal.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/