[vlc] question about versions of VLC

Jeff Snyder working_class_peon at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 01:05:37 CEST 2010

--- On Fri, 6/11/10, Mark Duplessis <marksidneyduplessis at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK so I just upgraded to snow leopard
> and am trying to get everything to 64 bit.

> I see that vlc 1.0.5 is 32 but I found a version 1.0.2 that
> is supposedly 64 bit.

> Is there a reason that the newer version isn't 64bit?
> is the old version buggy or something?
> what do yall recommend running?

Hello Mark,

Actually, you have several options. The first option, assuming that you are bold and adventuresome, is that you can download the 64-bit nightly build from the following URL:

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/macosx-intel/?C=M;O=D

A second option, if you want to compile the very latest 64-bit code yourself in the Terminal, is to download the source using the git command in the Terminal. Even if you don't have much experience with the Terminal, it is very easy to do if you carefully follow the instructions that are found on the following page. There are instructions for both Leopard and Snow Leopard:

http://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile

I have followed the above instructions quite a few times and am currently using my own compiled version of VLC 1.0.0-rc2. I haven't compiled a new version in six days, so there may possibly be an rc3 by now.

Hmmm...I just checked, and the rc3 code is available at the following URL. It is dated June 12th. I haven't tried compiling it yet, so I don't know if it will compile properly on OSX or not:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/testing/

Personally, I would go with option number two above, as that way, you will in fact have the very latest code if you use the "git pull --rebase" command, after downloading your original "vlc" directory.

I hope the above helps you. If you need more explicit instructions, just reply here on the list.

Jeff Snyder

27" 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7 iMac with 8 GB of RAM and a 2 TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Zippin' along, baby, zippin' along! Catch us if you can! -- Dave Clark Five 1965